Monday, April 9, 2007

San Francisco

Yesterday was easter sunday, our first one in LA. We went to this HUGE church with Marsha and had a lovely easter service there. They have a massive organ, one of the biggest in the world. After church we did a wee tiki tour of LA and saw the new catholic catherdral which costs $12 to park!!! It smelt like cinnamon and is made out of mexican marble. Marsha made us an amaing and huge easter meal. Over here is it quite traditional to have a family meal for easter, like we would for christmas. We had our first proper artichokes- yum!
Today we got up really early and found our way back to LAX. We were very glad that we got up early because it took over an hour waiting in line to get checked in. I marvel at how LAX can work properly!! We arrived here in San Fran and were meet by Doug, Becky, Caelia and Amy. We all went into town and had clam chowder in real sourdough bread bowls, very good. After that we went to Muir Woods and had a walk around the redwoods, some of them 1000 years old. We saw a chipmunk that looked a bit sick, poor wee chipmunk. San Fran looks like a great city- we really like it here.
Alice

I know Alice mentioned it, about how stuff is so cheap over here, but she didn't really give it justice. I bought a new pair of DC's for $40 and some were at $20. Levis $30, label t-shirts, $12. It's so cheap to dress nice. Bottle of JD, $17 at the supermarket! And this is us not even shopping for deals, just buying stuff when we see it. Subway is more expensive though, which I guess is to counteract McDonalds being about half the price it is at home. I guess the 99c Double Cheeseburger wins again! And capatilism reigns here. There is nothing you can do that doesn't come with the optional t-shirt. As I'll mention later we went to a forest today, and just to show the world you went, why not buy a t-shirt or cap or grey hoody with "MUIR WOODS" written across the chest. It's great to be able to show your support for trees in the face of the evil global warming corporation.

Anyway, onto more recent things, San Francisco is awesome! It's a pretty city but property is expensive. Actually that doesn't get in the way of me enjoying the city, just my desires of moving here. We went to a redwood forest today, those trees are tall! We're going to do some more tomorrow and then tomorrow night is our first night in a youth hostel which should be simultaniously fun and disgusting!

I'm missing all the keeping in touch with friends stuff :( I'm having a great time but I do miss my friends. You know who you are.

7 comments:

nasandaz said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying yourselves! America has just about anything you want, except Speights and L&P!
San Francisco is one of my favorite places to visit. Try to see Chinatown, if you can. Have you had a ride on a cable car yet?
Alice, after your many impressions of the U.S., now you understand why I love to come to NZ - it's a breath of fresh air after life here!
Where are you headed after SF?

Love, Dot

Alice said...

Hey Dot
Thanks for your message. We are loving San Fran! Head off to Miami next for the weekend. We are considering how we might come back here for a bit longer in the future.
Keep in touch
Alice

nasandaz said...

Following your adventures and wishing we could do the same! Be safe and take lots of photos...I'll look forward to seeing them all when we get back to NZ at the end of the year.

HUGS! Dot

nasandaz said...

Following your adventures and wishing we could do the same! Be safe and take lots of photos...I'll look forward to seeing them all when we get back to NZ at the end of the year.

HUGS! Dot

Unknown said...

Hey team
I just found out about this thing from your email, Cheers. Caught up on all the entries. More intersting than an email cause there are pictures. Sounds like you (in the original english this word is plural) are having a sweet time. Actually I'm a little jealous, and I'm thinkin that I shouldn't be cause I've done heaps of travelling, but still I am :)Take care and I look forward to reading about them
Love
SAM

hg said...

thanks bro, it's good to hear from you! you should write an email telling me all about the happenings going on in your life coz i know there are some! sometimes feel as we left just as things were really starting going, missing you and paula and kris and everyone :( keep in touch bro

Anonymous said...

Andrew, this is mayday. your computer wont let me into gmail, it is asking for your password. hope you get this. Mum