Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Breckenridge, Colorado

So, I'm in Breckenridge, Colorado, and it's cold. It's really ncie and fun though. It's like 3 km in the sky, so the air is mighty thin, helps me get "fit" though!

It snowed the other day and it was like a foot deep, and it was pretty fun, it's 0 humidity, so while it's cold, it's never really miserable. I missed all the -20 weather and these days it's around 2 degrees so that's pretty managable. Also, Americans HATE to be uncomfortable, so it's always warm inside.

And the food. I tried to take some photos but I can't upload them here but the food is amazing in it's extremities. It's also ridiculous what Americans have to be reminded about too. I saw an ad for a car, and the guy drove off a jetty into the water and at the bottom of the screen "do not attempt" but I guess it's because they love to sue over here.

I had a terrible plane trip, because I hate flying, maybe I need to drink more water, I'm not sure really. In America I got pulled over into a seperate customs office to get interrogated, because they thought it was dodgy I was travelling without my wife. Typical American hardass enforcers though. They took me through and I asked why I was in there and they'd say "just wait there" and they wouldn't help me out at all until they actually talked to me, they love to intimidate with their black uniforms and bolbous abdominal regions.

LA airport was crazy, instantly someone gave me a hardcover hari krishna book, and then I got a quarter pounder at the airport (how could I not?) and was served by a sassy mexican girl that sounded like rosi perez (? from white men can't jump) and then found the way to my other terminal, and managed to not buy burger king from the two burger kings on the walk from the start of terminal 4 to gate whatever-it-was.

I got picked up by Tim and his girlfriend Christine (thanks!!!!) and driven to Breckenridge, about an hour away.


I'm going to go to Denver on Thursday I think, get into a backpackers and explore the city, and then on Saturday at 6 am I've got a flight back to LA to meet Alice, and I honestly can't wait! I've missed her so much in the last week, well, half week, but it seems like so long!

We're going out for $2 wings tonight in a different city I think, it should be fun. And tasty. Oh, and the microwave pizzas here are the very best, they also contain approximately 120% of your daily recommended dosage of fat so I share them.....

Oh and did I mention I hate tax? Think that $0.99 burger is actually going to cost $0.99? You'd better think again buddy. And it means I end up with the worst change in my pocket because everything ends up costing $x.43 or something and it's a pain in the ass, but then again, if you're being served, you just round up to the next dollar or so as a tip, they're actually pretty trusting here, you really do just leave the money on the table and leave and they grab it later. Pretty cool really.

Americans are pretty friendly, but I will admit, not very smart.. Not really arrogant though, although I am in Colorado and not LA so maybe I'll experience something different.

Anyway, time to go buy some toilet paper and some lunch for tomorrow from the city-mart supermarket.

1 comment:

ErinRN said...

Andrew---
Don't throw all your Americans in one box, now. We are not all dumb. Remember you will run across all different individuals, just like Kiwis. Yes, some thick as a brick spots, but that will happen in any place. Hope you have a good time, and enjoy the USA.