Friday, July 13, 2007

Koh Samui

Well, we're back in Thailand, we got a flight directly to Koh Samui (one of the islands in the gulf) instead of to Bangkok, and it's been great. The airport on Samui is like a beach hut without walls, last time we came here it was nice, this time, it was unusual to go through immigration in a beach hut. But I have to say I love it here, I did last time, and have been reminded of just why. It is still really cheap, and the weather is awesome, and the beaches are beautiful. Tomorrow we move to Koh Phangan, hopefully find an even cheaper hut and spend the next couple of weeks on the beach relaxing and whatever else we want to do. We managed to find an awesome Thai restaurant, it's pretty budget looking, no A/C or anything, and it's cheap, but the food is simply awesome and it's open 24 hours so it doesn't really get much better than that. 4 meals at the same place in the last 2 days..

I wasn't quite sure how my impressions of this place would have changed after seeing a lot more of the world and maybe it only seemed so amazing since it was the only other place I'd been apart from NZ/Australia, but no, it's still just as good, it's still one of my favorite places I've been. I was surprised that the price hadn't really gone up, and I'd heard that since the Tsunami on the other side of the country that the tourism from there had come here, but it doesn't seem to have changed all that much. I don't remember getting so many insect bites last time though, I have like 20 or so at the moment, it's frustrating, but then again, the pharmacies are dirt cheap and sell anything over the counter, so maybe I'll get something treat it. It's a shame we're only here for a month really. We're also thinking we might go to the Phillipines after this for a couple of weeks too. Better get off the internet and go do something not so nerdy.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Hi Al.

Rae here. Lost your email address so hope this gets to you. Sounds like you guys are having a blast. It's been great tracking your progress and the photos are awesome. Just thought I would drop you a line to say thanks for the card you sent. It was great to hear from you. Well I'm loving married life! Our wedding was fabulous and our honeymoon even better. I'm really looking forward to you coming back so I can show you the photos. Seems like you have been gone forever! We're house hunting at the moment which is fun...better if we didn't have a budget but that's okay. Travel safe and see you when you get back.

hg said...

Hello Mrs Brown!! You have a lovely daughter.....How many times have you heard that yet??
Great to hear from you, lost your email too! Can't wait to see you pics, are there any online? Good luck with the house hunting, dont let any crummy real estate agents bully you!
Alice