Friday, June 1, 2007

Aswan

Aswan is even hotter than Luxor is apparently. I heard it was 42 today, and the other day it got to 55. Anyway, we got the "sleeping" train, which was a non sleeping train, at 10pm last night, and arrived here at 12.30 with an OK sleep and sore bodies from conforming to the train seats. It was alright though, I've slept much worse places (I'm still haunted hourly from Madrid International). The hotel we're at is nice, and has A/C, and the guide met us soon after and took us to see a massive Dam, which sounds boring, but it's incredibly big and the important role it plays in Egypt is quite large really. Pretty much prevents Cairo from being swallowed under water. We then saw our first Egyptian temple, which was really interesting, and having someone with us who really knew their stuff was a great help, learnt a lot all about the Egyptian religion and their view on the world and why all these things were there and how it linked into their Monarchy and basically shaped the rest of their lives. Very interesting stuff really.
-Andrew
We are learning a bit of arabic here, just enough to ward off the hagglers and appreciate our helpers. Our guide took us to get a feed of this traditional Egyptian meal, Koshari, after our day out the other day. It was so yummy but I got confused and instead of saying thankyou I said Koshari. Andrew thought this was hilarious and teased me all the way home.
-Alice

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

alice balice
i had another weird dream last night - you were pregnant?!
jessy wessy

Alice said...

Jessy wessy!!
That is weird!! I dont think I am!
Miss you heaps
Alice Balice

hg said...

i hope not!

Unknown said...

Hey guys,
Just read your blog for the first time in ages...looks like you're having a great time! I had no idea you were in North Africa, I think the last time I caught up you were in the States.

Anyway really cool to see what you're up to and that you're enjoying yourselves.

Might email you soon eh?
Take care,
Stu

hg said...

hey thanks stu! good to hear from ya, always good to hear from people back home. i hear you'll be doing similar sometime soon? or so jeremy tells me. i hope that wasn't meant to be confidential