Thursday, April 19, 2007

Grand Cayman & Jamaica

Well, we're in Jamaica right now and it is hot, but it's really nice. We got off the boat at 8.30 and started to walk to these famous water falls instead of taking a tour and half way there we stumbled onto some other falls which may or may not have been as nice but they weren't full of tourists and we met some rastas and spent most of the morning with them, they're pretty nice people and we got photos and they showed us some cool stuff and we swam in the ocean and sat under some waterfalls, it's seriously like something out of a catalogue, probably one of the more authentic and unique experiences we're going to have this trip!
-Andrew
I really liked Grand Caymen. Its a small British Island and very pretty. We walked along and found a nice place to snorkel and spend most of the morning doing this. They have stringrays you can swim with. I got a bit freaked out after being stung by a Jellyfish though so it took a bit to get back in the water. We had lunch at a resturant on the beach and they looked after our stuff while we went back out into the ocean. It was heaps deeper here, we swam out a bit and found an old shipwreck. I got scared again when we saw sharks (just little ones) so that was the end of snorkelling for the day.
Jamaica is AWESOME! I love it here, the people are so beautiful. We hung out with our new rasta friends Andrew and Rowan for the morning it was fun. They showed us how to break open and almond and coconut shell. Really nice guys. I got stung again here by a massive Jamacain wasp, its 4 hours later and still stings like crazy but they tell me its ok. Rowan got some special leaves to rub on it and then some garlic a bit later (?). We are back on the boat soon heading back to Miami.
-Alice

4 comments:

nasandaz said...

Sounds like you're having a great time, in spite of getting stung! Did you get to try 'conch'? I heard it's a caribbean must-have...
I'm having great fun reading your impressions of the U.S. - many people think it's the same all over, when it is really so different from one place to another.
My doctor is Jamaican, he said they have NZ butter in Jamaica, so it must be an awesome place to be!
Be careful in Miami and enjoy yourselves! Where to next?
Love, Dot

invisiblefriend said...

Hi Andrew and Alice, I just thought of you guys tonight and so I'm writing this to say I hope you're both having a great time. Grand Cayman and Jamaica sounds wicked. It's hard being the only heretics at the Bible study group, it will be nice when you guys are back to act as a buffer :) Seeing as you don't really know me from a bar of soap, and this is on the net, I better explain that those last couple of comments were pure tomfoolery. Although we are essentially heretics i guess. Mandie is in Perth right now, but I'm sure she would send her best wishes as well. I hope the rest of your trip goes well, I will endeavor to remember to write again, but please forgive me if I don't as i can be quite vague. Okay well cheers guys, have fun doing whatever it is Anglicans do when they are abroad.

David and Mandie.

Unknown said...

Hey guys
Again, I'm jealous. Sounding like a very cool trip. Meeting the locals is def a hightlight of travel. Can be a bit scary sokmetimes, but well worth in, especially when you look back at your trip in the future. Anyway, great to be able top read what ya'll are up to.
Love
SAM

Alice said...

Hey Dot!
Yeah its crazy times here- learning alot more about what makes the USA the USA- understand you guys better now! People are very friendly actually, more so than we thought they would be.
Hey Dave!
Great to hear from you. Yes we miss those good olde bible study times. We are trying to get through the book ourselves but it doesnt seem quite as easy as when with the group.
Sam
So we'll be seeing you in New Orleans in October then!! We should all take another cruise afterwards that would be mint.